23 août 2021 -
27 août 2021 / Viège
2021 Summer School: Tribology and Surfaces Interactions
The course is set to cover the topics listed below. Practical work on a local glacier will also form an integral part of the course. Students will have to interpret geological features in terms of tribological events, summarizing their on-site (Aletsch, Saas Fee, Zermatt) observations and presenting the outcome.
Tribology system and main concepts
- System description: materials, mechanics/ Concepts of friction, lubrication, wear
Surfaces and friction
- Topography, surface energy, atomic structure, and chemical properties of surfaces, tribochemistry, surface modifications
From contact mechanics to wear
- 2D and 3D problem (loads and stresses): Hertz, sliding, yielding
- 3D problem (loads and stresses) considering roughness, non-linear behaviour of materials. BEM, FEM. Hertz/Goodman formalism for coatings. Role of the interface. Archard, Wear particle generation
Wear of systems
- Wear as mass flow (3rd body concept), systemic influence on wear, 3rd body rheology, wear of materials
- Regimes: Hydrodynamic lubrication and EHL / Boundary and solid lubrication
Experimental techniques for tribology
- Laboratory, bench, real scale wear experiments. Wear quantification. Characterization of wear mechanisms.
Tribology of materials
- Response of different classes of materials to tribological loading. Tribocorrosion.
Surface treatments for tribology
- Overview on tribological coatings and surface treatments. Application criteria.
- Rock mechanics and friction. Third bodies. Rock sliding. Simulation.
Introduction to rock tectonics
- Large scale tribological phenomena
- Students will interpret rock features in terms of tribological events. They will summarize their on-site (Aletsch, Saas Fee, Zermatt) observations and present the outcome.
Case Study 1: Bearings
Case Study 2: Biotribology
Site internet de l’évènement
EPFL-École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne
23 août 2021 -
27 août 2021
Bildungshaus St. Jodern
St. Jodernstrasse 17, Viège
Date limite d’inscription